“Life is a combination of magic and pasta.” -Federico Fellini
Summer time is the perfect time for colorful food and pasta salads. I have put together this easy recipe for the perfect and creamy vegan pasta salad! Let’s jump into it 🙂
- 1 bag of pasta (I used 1/3 of penne, 1/3 of farfalle, 1/3 fusilli)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups of chopped kale or spinach
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons of margarine or butter
- salt (add to taste)
- pepper (add to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder or 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions (Optional)
- NOTE: I used Trader Joe’s Lemon Pepper Seasoning Blend and Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning
- Make your pasta according to the bag/box of pasta you bought. Honestly, any type of pasta will work, I do prefer penne for this particular recipe, or a medley of pastas.
- While the pasta is boiling, chop up the tomatoes and kale/spinach.
- Take the avocados and mash them in a bowl with a fork, you can also use a blender to get the avocado creamy. I like the little chunks so I prefer to use a fork.
- Add the lemon, oregano, salt, and pepper (If you are adding garlic and onion powder, stir that into the avocado mixture). Set this avocado mixture aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain all the water and pour pasta into a skillet on the stove with the margarine or butter.
- Add the tomatoes and kale to the skillet and toss with the pasta until the kale and tomatoes has cooked down. (If you are adding in fresh garlic and onions, this is the time to add it in. Let the onions and garlic thoroughly cook before taking the pasta off the stove)
- Pour pasta into a bowl to cool to room temperature. (Probably around 30-40 minutes, perfect time time catch up on an episode of your favorite show…that is what I did….”Monk” on the Hallmark Channel 🙂 )
- Once pasta is cooled, toss the pasta in the avocado mixture. Make sure all the pasta is coated with the avocado mixture.
- Serve and enjoy! 🙂
- Storing this is very hard because the avocado will brown, so this is a recipe that should be eaten with 3-4 hours of making it. You could make the pasta mixture a day before and then the avocado mixture right before serving.
Even if you are not vegan, this is a great recipe. My sister, who adores her cheese, loved this and even said that cheese was not needed because the avocado made the pasta so creamy! So give it a try!
If you re-create this recipe at home, you can tag me in your photos on Instagram @cupfoteaforthought . You can also follow me for updates and little bits of my life that I share 🙂
I hope you all have an amazing weekend and I will talk to y’all next week!
All the Best,